Monday, January 17, 2011

McDonald's

Ola, tudo bem com vocês?
 
Hey everyone! How are you all doing? Everything is going pretty good here in Jandaia. I can´t really seem to get over being sick though because there is never sufficient time to rest and recover. I worked full days almost everyday this week. Friday though I have to rest for a couple of hours because my body just couldn´t handle it. My ears are going crazy too because of the congestion. i can´t really hear out of my left ear today. Not the funnest thing. Plus I think it´s bugging elder Holmes because I am always asking him to repeat stuff.
 
But the work here is going pretty well. We are getting really close with the amazing family I have already told you guys about. They will be married pretty soon I think. The only thing really holding it up is that she is from another state and is missing a couple a documents such as birth certificate. And because she is from a different state it will take a little bit longer to get it straightened out. But I think just a few more weeks it should happen. Then Baptism!  They are so reay to be baptized. They are already so strong in the Ward and have strong relationships with the members. It goes to show how important it is to have the help of members in the work. Having the members passing by their house, inviting them to family home evening activities, and give rides if neccessary has made all the difference for them. When you guys see new members/investigators at Church do all you can to befriend them. It is so crucially important for this to happen or they will never ``ficar firme´´ --- be strong in the Church.
 
I think I talked about it a bit in the last email that our ward got a new bishop 2 Sundays ago. I really like our new bishop. the last one was really great but this new bishop is so excited and fired up. He is already going around doing lots of visits and making changes in how things are done. I think it´s going to lead to a lot of good in the ward. i think the ward is really going to strengthen with him as bishop. And he has a more open schedule than the old bishop so that really helps him be able to work in the ward better
 
Today for P-Day Elder Holmes and I went to one of the malls here in Ribeirão Preto and got MacDonald´s for lunch. it was super expensive but fun to have some nice salty fries and a McChicken. I couldn´t handle paying for a soft drink. But I already get that enough as it is. People here drink a lot of soda, especially in meals with missionaries. But we are strictly forbidden to drink Coca Cola or Pepsi. But we drink a ton of Guaraná which is a soda made from a weird jungle fruit with the same name. It´s apparently a horrible tasting fruit but makes delicious soda.
 
Last week´s district meeting was a special one with training from the Assistants. The president is using my Zone as a test group for a new way to teach people on the first visit. We use a piece of paper and outline some basic history of the Bible and then the Restoration. And we make is extremely clear what is necessary to gain a testimony of these things. 1st you have to read from the Book of Mormon, 2nd you have to go to church and see it for yourself, and 3rd - the most impprtant - you have to pray about it. We are using this to try and filter better through the people that really have interest and people that don´t want to keep any commitments. So far it´s been working out pretty well. We already marked 4 more baptismal dates with it last week. We will have to see if the people will come through with it but I like this new technique. It is at least helping me be more bold, even if we decide not to keep using it in the Mission. We have to really push the idea of the commitments with it which I have always been afraid to do. But I´m seeing how being bold about it is actually working, people are more receptive to it than I thought they would be.
 
We got a surprise visit from one of the Assistants and one of my Zone Leaders the day after the training. they worked in our area with us on splits to help us learn how to use this new technique. it was really cool to be on splits with my LZ(zone leader). Elder Robertt (he is Brazilian despite the name) is awesome. He is someone I really admire and hope to be like as a missionary. he takes everything seriously and respects all of the rules - unfortunately a rare trait in the mission. I learned a lot from those two that day. They really know how to work> it kind of overwhelmed me because I am still a bit weak from being sick and got a little unaccustomed to hard work from my first two companions.
 
Well folks I better get going. I hope it´s been a great week for all of you, it sure has for me. I love to hear from you all!
Até mais!
 
Elder McLelland


No comments:

Post a Comment