Friday, November 4, 2011

Happy Halloween

So Halloween isn´t celebrated here. I think wednesday is ``Dia dos
Mortos´´ but i don´t think it´s a very big celebrated holiday here. It
will probably be ike the rest of the holidays here in Brazil; no one
really knows what the holiday is but they do know that don´t have to
work and get to drink a lot. Elder Farrington, another elder in my
district, was making the comparison that being a missionary is a lot
like Halloween. You get dressed up, you knock on a lot of doors, and
people usually give you food.

The weather has been nuts these pastfew days. Saturday started out as
the hottest day I have had on the mission and then it turned into the
rainiest day. We had a massive thunderstorm and I got thoroughly
soaked. It broke my umbrella too. I was on exchanges with my Zone
Leader so I could do a baptismal interview in his area. We got
caughtright in the middle of the storm. It knocked down a lot of trees
and power lines. When we got to the house for me to do the interview
the girls mom insisted that I change my clothes. I kept saying no but
she was getting angry so I in and put on her son´s t-shirt, shorts and
flip flops. I can now say that I did a baptismal interview by candle
light and not wearing the normal missionary clothes. Kind of a weird
experience.

We had an Area Seventy, Elder Tobias, attend our Sacrament meeting
yesterday. My mission president was also supposed to be their but he
ended up going to a different ward. On Saturday morning we also had a
training with Elder Tobias. It was really good to hear his training
and he gave a lot of good insights to us. We are also getting a lot
more consistent at getting investigators to Church these past few
weeks. We should have quite a few more baptisms this next month. This
Sunday we should have at least one, Geraldo. He is a 60 year old man.
He is such a simple and humble man. He has been going to Church for
the last three weeks. We challenged him again last night to be
baptized and he readily accepted. We also have a lot of others that we
are preparing for baptism later in the month.

Yesterday we did a family night with an investigator family and I made
apple pie for them. It´s such a simple thing but delicious. They all
loved it. You really learn a lot things on the mission. I never
thought I would learn to make apple pie while on the mission. Elder
Farrington taught me. I´ve also learned some other Brazilian foods.
I´m excited to show all of you when I get back. My favoite to make is
Stroganoff. And of course, rice and beans.

Well, I guess that´s about it. Have a great Halloween!
Elder McLelland

No comments:

Post a Comment